We Fight For Employee Rights

What can you do if you’re a victim of age discrimination?

On Behalf of | Jun 13, 2022 | Workplace Discrimination

Employers in Rhode Island are generally not allowed to make employment decisions based solely on the age of the employees. If you believe that you have been a victim of age discrimination, there are a number of steps that you can take to remedy the issue.

Is the discrimination intentional?

Your supervisor may have bypassed you for a promotion because you lack the skills needed to do the job effectively at the next level. It’s also possible that you weren’t chosen for a professional development seminar because you haven’t expressed interest in learning new skills. A simple conversation with your supervisor or other company officials may be enough to put you on the list of candidates for future opportunities.

What can you do if the discrimination is intentional?

If you believe that your employer is engaging in systematic discrimination, it may be necessary to file a formal complaint. You can do so either directly with your employer or by contacting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Ideally, you will keep a log of any actions that you believe were discriminatory in nature.

For example, you should keep copies of emails, text messages or other communications that might imply that your age was the reason why you weren’t given a raise or why you were terminated. Any correspondence implying that you weren’t hired for a job because of your age may also serve as proof of unlawful acts by a company.

Victims of age discrimination in the workplace may be entitled to financial compensation from their employers. They may also be entitled to reinstatement to their current position in the event that they were improperly terminated or reassigned. Other forms of relief may also be available based on the facts of the case.