We Fight For Employee Rights
V. Edward Formisano
Our Firm’s Founder, Attorney V. Edward Formisano
As one of Rhode Island’s foremost practitioners representing employees in employment law disputes, Attorney Ed Formisano has recovered tens of millions of dollars for his clients. With an unswerving commitment to prompt communication and efficient case management, Ed understands how to work with his clients to get to the heart of their legal matters.
His deep understanding of the contemporary workplace and legal landscape often results in a strategy which explores and exhausts all non-trial options — including arbitration and mediation — to preserve clients’ privacy, avoid risk and minimize distress. However, when needed, Ed aggressively — and successfully — advocates for his clients in court.
In fact, knowing the essential role that employment plays in the daily livelihood of Rhode Island and Massachusetts residents, Ed fiercely protects, preserves and upholds the legal rights of each employee-client.
His expertise includes wage-and-hour disputes, contract and severance negotiation, discrimination and harassment claims, medical leave issues, whistleblower cases, and other employment law matters. Over the years, he has also successfully handled an array of civil rights, medical malpractice and personal injury cases as well as general civil litigation matters.
Ed and his team at Formisano & Company operate in a client-focused manner, fully dedicated to achieving favorable results and sensible resolutions that benefit the best interest of firm clients. The office is centrally located within the landmark Garden City Shopping Center.
Honors and Awards, Community
Ed has consistently been recognized by US News & World Reports/Best Lawyers and Best Law Firms in America; Rhode Island Super Lawyers and New England Super Lawyers; and awarded an “AV Preeminent” rating by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a frequent speaker to lawyers and law students on a variety of employment law topics.
Over the years, Ed has been active as a volunteer in a number charitable organizations including Save the Bay and the American Heart Association. He is deeply committed to Junior Achievement of Rhode Island and to St. Mary’s Home for Children, a secular, non-profit agency offering comprehensive treatment programs for boys and girls traumatized by abuse or experiencing the challenges of psychiatric disorders. He also underwrites one student’s tuition to attend his law school alma mater at the University of New Hampshire School of Law.
Federal and State Courts, Administrative Agencies
Ed has practiced before federal and state courts as well as administrative agencies. He frequently appears before the federal district courts of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut, the First Circuit Court of Appeals, the US Supreme Court and Rhode Island Supreme, Superior, District, Family, and Workers Compensation Courts.
Additionally, Ed had handled matters before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Merit Systems Protection Board, OSHA, Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights, Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination and a number of other state, federal and local administrative agencies.
Memberships, Associations, Education
Ed is an active member of numerous professional organizations including: the National Employment Lawyers Association, the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association; the Rhode Island and American Associations for Justice; and the Rhode Island American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
A graduate of the University of New Hampshire School of Law, Ed also holds a Master of Arts degree in English from Rhode Island College and a Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Anselm College.
- University of New Hampshire School of Law, Concord, New Hampshire
- Rhode Island College, Providence, Rhode Island
- Major: English
- St Anselm College, Manchester, New Hampshire
Current Employment Position
- Employment Law - Employee
- Employee Discrimination
- Employee Harassment
- Sexual Harassment
- Racial Harassment
- Employee Severance
- Employee Medical Leave
- Employee Whistleblowing
- Police Brutality and Misconduct
- Wage and Hour Laws
- Employment Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Civil Rights
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Medical Malpractice
- Rhode Island, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1997
- Super Lawyers, 2010- Present
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers, 2012 - Present
- New England Super Lawyers, 2012 - Present
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Litigation, Plaintiff
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Peer Review Rated
- US News & World Reports/Best Lawyers and Best Law Firms in America
- Save the Bay, Volunteer
- American Heart Association, Volunteer
- Rhode Island Legal/Education Partnership Mock Trial Tournament
- Legal Information and Referral Services for the Elderly
- Rhode Island Bar Association Lawyer Referral Services
- Justinian Law Society of Rhode Island, Member
- Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- The American Association for Justice, Member
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Rhode Island ACLU, Cooperating Attorney
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Labor and Employment Law Section, Member
- Rhode Island Association for Justice, Member
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Member